Friday, January 21, 2011

The beginning

So I want to build a TARDIS. Why the hell not? The original plan was to have it for the ACG ball in 2011 as myself an a few others are doing a bit of a Doctor Who theme for our costumes and thought it would be an appropriate prop/backdrop. Plus there's nothing particularly interesting to have photos with at NACC hall. Just those old double doors to the Library which appear in probably 50%* of costumed photos on my hard drive.


So which to do? To the non-fan, there is one TARDIS, but alas there are no less than 8 different types throughout the 40 years of Dr Who!
As you can see here, these are the main types through the show's run. (there are a few others that have minor differences.)




You can see a write up on them all here. The most recognisable would be that of the new show. In 2005 a new blockier, larger TARDIS was built, which is pretty, but to me it resembles a wardrobe. The Matt Smith series had yet another one built with the same dimensions but a few differences, mainly colour, window frames and other cosmetic things. The St John symbol returned to the door, which hasn't been seen since Hartnell was the man.


*I tend to exaggerate. 80% of my statistics I just make up when I need.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to look at that last picture, and realized the TARDIS never perfectly matched the look of the original Scotland Yard police box. I guess one could argue that this was due to the Chameleon Circuit not working rihgt and therefore not perfectly matching what it materialized around. That would also explain the changes in appearance over the years.

    ReplyDelete